General Class License Course By Zoom Starts 10/28

Rol Anders, K3RA’s free weekly General Class licensing course on Zoom begins Thursday, October 28 and running through Thursday, January 13 (9 sessions plus 3 weeks off for the holidays in November and December.)   Sessions will start at 6:30 pm eastern time, and run 3 hours.  These are the classes sponsored by the National Electronics Museum that we have been holding for years.  Those wishing to sign up should email him at roland.anders@comcast.net.

October 6, 2021 meeting

A turnout of twelve people: Dave AB3TE, Mike K2TPZ, Val W3VAL, Bud W3LL, Kurt WA3TOY, Bill N3WD, Al WA3SFR, Jim W3BBE, Jon KC3PAN, Robin AA3SB, Frank W3/BG5AAF, Neil W3ZQI.

Informal pre-meeting: Mike K2TPZ advised that Oak Crest has a remote station in Florida.

Club Treasurer Dave AB3TE opened the meeting and conducted introductions. Secretary Neil W3ZQI read the prior meeting minutes. Dave AB3TE gave the treasurer’s report: the recent monthly storage cost increase was 18%. Dues have been received from some members. Fiscal year 2022 annual memberships fees are now due. Bill N3WD announced the passing of Page WA3EOP.

Old Business: Elections are due for Vice president, Treasurer, and one Member-at-Large; to be voted upon in November with nominations from the floor accepted. Jim W3BBE volunteered for that Member-at-Large position. Secretary Neil W3ZQI to post this info to the webpage and reflector.

New Business: None.

Informal: Frank W3/BG5AAF was welcomed to the area. Bud W3LL competed that day in the 432 Sprint. Kurt WA3TOY speaks with hams in the nightly 3919 net and will travel to North Carolina to attend their annual gathering. Al WA3SFR spoke of his new antenna switcher for lightning protection. Al suggested sending an e-mail or letter to area hams advising them of our organization and meetings. Bud W3LL told how HamCap gives alerts of HF band activity. ADIF Lookup can be used to fill in missing log information. Jim W3BBE suggested Ham Slingshot with 1 oz. weight to go up to 60′ in the air. He likes his Palstar auto tuner which can tune his 80-10 endfed antenna to allow use on 160 meters. Neil W3ZQI discussed a failed FT8 confirmation. Club Log was described.

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary

September 1, 2021 meeting

A turnout of seventeen people: Dave AB3TE, Kyle K3KRG, Marty KC3PPV, Kurt WA3TOY, Jim W3BBE, Mike K2TPZ, Tom KC3RJR, Alicia KC3RJQ, Bud W3LL, Jim WB3DJU, Neil W3ZQI, Hale N3NYC, Stephan KC3ILL, Don N3FQC, Val W3VAL, Jon KC3PAN, Henry KB1PE.

Stephan KC3ILL updated the group on his stealth flagpole antenna.

Club president Hale N3NYC opened the meeting. Secretary Neil W3ZQI read the prior meeting minutes. Dave AB3TE gave the treasurer’s report: monthly storage costs to go up again. Chuck N3PVZ has passed away.

Old Business: Elections are due. Hamfest Committee–Dave AB3TE, nothing to report.

New Business: None.

Informal: Jim WB3DJU: A local Collins radio is for sale. WA2ONG has a Hygain high tower (80-10) for sale $300. A 706 mk2 w/tuner is for sale. Jim now has a Flex 6400. Bob Heil presentations are available for an upcoming meeting: Science of Audio and Optimizing Signals.

Alicia KC3RJQ and Tom KC3RJR are waiting for delivery of a new 2-meter antenna. They made POTA contacts at Oregon Ridge. Dave AB3TE suggested remote operation for Alicia and Tom using the TS-2000.

Henry KB3PE mentioned that the National Electronics Museum is upgrading various exhibits.

Dave AB3TE said that he has seen 1.3 inches of rain so far today with his “Weather Flow”.

Jim W3BBE spoke of his 80-10m MyAntenna and intentions to use either a crossbow or tennis ball slingshot for antenna placement.

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary

Chuck Nemec K3VPZ, Silent Key

With deep sadness we announce the recent passing of fellow Baltimore area radio amateur Chuck Nemec K3VPZ. He died from congestive heart failure. Chuck was a CW guy and loved working DX. First licensed in 1962, he accomplished much over his years in the hobby. He will be missed. Chuck Nemec’s viewing and funeral will be this coming Friday September 3rd. 

Haight Funeral Home & Chapel P.A.

  • Address
    6416 Sykesville Road
    P.O. Box 195
    Sykesville, MD 21784
  • Telephone
    (410) 795-1400

Here is a link to Chuck Nemec’s funeral arrangements, on the Haight Funeral Home web site:
https://www.haightfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Chuck-Nemec/

On-line Technician Class Licensing Course starting Sept 9, 2021

I am starting a free Technician Class course on Zoom beginning Thursday, September 9  and running for 7 sessions.   Sessions will start at 6:30, and run 3 hours.  No charge, of course.   These are the classes sponsored by the National Electronics Museum that we have been holding for years.  Please publicize this with your club and anyone you know whom you think would be interested.  Those wishing to sign up should email me at roland.anders@comcast.net.

Thanks, Rol Anders K3RA

August 4, 2021 meeting

A turnout of eighteen people: Dave AB3TE, Kyle K3KRG, Bill N3WD, Brian KB3UZH, Jim W3BBE, Mike K2TPZ, Tom KC3RJR, Alicia KC3RJQ, Amanda KC3SEI, Neil W3ZQI, Chris N2MCS, Stephan KC3ILL, Marty KC3PPV, AL WA3SFR, Val W3VAL, Robin AA3SB, Jim WB3DJU, Henry KB1PE.

VP Bill N3WD opened the August, 2021 meeting. Secretary Neil W3ZQI read the July meeting minutes. Dave AB3TE gave the treasurer’s report. Again, storage is our major, recurring expense. New attendee Brian KB3UZH was welcomed to the meeting.

OLD BUSINESS: Meeting Location: No plans to return to Wegman’s due to lower capacity/non-business meeting rules. Tom KC3RJR will look into a local condo multi-purpose room for potential access. Dave AB3TE asked that Internet access be a consideration so that ZOOM is available too. Chris N2MCS volunteered to assist with cell-phone hot spot capability at meetings. Hamfest Committee: Bill N3WD asked if Dave AB3TE would continue as Hamfest chairman if enough responsibilities were delegated. Dave agreed. Neil W3ZQI volunteered to assist further with year-round and near-event financial/paperwork tasks. Tom KC3RJR and Alicia KC3RJQ volunteered for yet unspecified tasks since new to hamfests.

NEW BUSINESS: Need to do elections in September. Bill N3WD is donating an MFJ-259 Antenna Analyzer to the club for short-term lending. Neil W3ZQI is contact for scheduling. Active club member Joe W3TTT passed away recently. He will be missed. Jeff AC4ZO, brother of Doug N3VEJ, passed away recently too. Gary K4AAQ had recently done a write-up on Jeff. Storage costs: we will continue to sell off unused club equipment to downsize.

INFORMAL: Bill N3WD and Doug N3VEJ attended the recent 3905 Century “EyeBall” convention and visited various cities in the south. Amanda KC3SEI passed the General exam. Neil W3ZQI mentioned several recent “QSL” incidents to illustrate that confirmations are not guaranteed to occur. Jim WB3DJU did an inventory and has some 4,000 vacuum tubes; seeking a buyer. Jim also reported a plan for Citizens Band to convert from AM to FM mode. Dave AB3TE spoke highly of a cell phone app called Edison for providing a focused e-mail in-box. Tom KC3RJR asked about antenna bonding/grounding. Neil W3ZQI mentioned the the weekly CATS on-air ATV net is each Wednesday at 9:00 pm. on our FM repeater.

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary

July 7, 2021 meeting

A turnout of eleven people: Dave AB3TE, Kurt WA3TOY, Kyle K3KRG, Neil W3ZQI, Marty KC3PPV, Jon KC3PAN, Amanda KC3SEI, Bud W3LL, Al WA3SFR, Jim WB3DJU, Henry KB1PE.

Treasurer Dave AB3TE opened the July, 2021 meeting. Secretary Neil W3ZQI read the June meeting minutes. Dave AB3TE gave the treasurer’s report.

HAMFEST: The event in June was successful and represented a nice increase in attendees and tailgate vendors. Dave made an appeal for year-round assistance for the hamfest effort. Jim WB3DJU suggested formation of a permanent hamfest committee; perhaps to include a hamfest chairman position, separate from that of the treasurer position. There is interest in purchasing newer, larger signs for the various posting points for the hamfest. Larger ticket size was also suggested. Hamfest pictures are sought for posting to the club webpage.

NEW BUSINESS: Amanda KC3SEI spoke of various companies providing funding to local organizations like ours. Neil W3ZQI mentioned a ham-based organization that is seeking applications to fund amateur radio projects–he will look into that.

INFORMAL: Amanda KC3SEI is slated to take the General exam on 7/10–wishing her luck! Alicia KC3RJQ and Tom KC3RJR’s Rav4 for park activations was discussed. One member spoke of a recent e-mail hack for which he apologized if anyone was impacted. This was followed by a general discussion on e-mail security.

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary

June 2, 2021 meeting

A turnout of nineteen people: AL WA3SFR, Dave AB3TE, Kyle K3KRG, Neil W3ZQI, Bill N3WD, Hale N3NYC, Jon KC3PAN, Amanda KC3SEI, Mike K2TPZ, Stephan KC3ILL, Marty KC3PPV, Val W3VAL, Jim WB3DJU, Tom KC3RJR, Alicia KC3RJQ, Robin AA3SB, Bill N3UKI, Henry KB1PE, Bud W3LL.

Treasurer Dave AB3TE opened the May, 2021 meeting. Secretary Neil W3ZQI read the May meeting minutes. Dave AB3TE gave the treasurer’s report; post office box renewal was paid; the Zoom subscription is due. Operating funds for the hamfest were drawn.

HAMFEST: Pouches prepared, e-mail block is on tickets, 2-meter GO-box prepared for talk-in, supplies organized (to include fans, signs, whiteboards). A number of volunteers have signed up for two-hour shifts at the hamfest. Food chits and water will be available for the volunteers. A discussion included topics: trash handling, placement/wording of signs, need of help at shutdown. Hopefully similar arrangements with the venue will continue. Masks at the hamfest should be worn when close to others.

NEW BUSINESS: The donated TS850 is being repaired for subsequent sale for funds.

INFORMAL: Jim WB3DJU mentioned a Collins KWM-2, etc. for sale locally. Jim is looking for 205D tubes–now quite valuable. We congratulated Amanda KC3SEI on passing the Technician exam. Dave AB3TE spoke again of his Rig Expert for antenna analysis and experiences–coax questions from Stephan KC3ILL. Tom KC3RJR and Alicia KC3RJQ are moving away from condo HF operation in lieu of roving. Their RAV-4 is being outfitted for such ventures; enjoy! Marty KC3PPV has plans for an end-fed antenna to replace his G5RV. Mike K3TPZ spoke of experiences with a number of popular radios.

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary

May 5, 2021 meeting

A turnout of fourteen people: AB3TE, Neil W3ZQI, Marty KC3PPV, Bill N3WD, Kyle K3KRG, Val W3VAL, Tom KC3RJR, Alicia KC3RJQ, Joe W3TTT, John KD3H, Stephan KC3ILL, Al WA3SFR, Russ N3YI, Mike K3TPZ.

Club Vice President Bill N3WD opened the May 2021 meeting. Neil W3ZQI Secretary read the April meeting minutes. Dave AB3TE gave the treasurer’s report; post office box renewal is due. We welcomed new attendee John KD3H. HAMFEST: Some volunteers have signed up for two-hour shifts at the hamfest; several more would be appreciated. Food chits and water will be available for the volunteers. Truck of Deliciousness has been named the food vendor–featuring breakfast selections. Masks at the hamfest should be worn when close to others. E-mail announcements of the hamfest are planned (Neil W3ZQI asked for anyone’s help with Mail Chimp).

NEW BUSINESS: A TS850 was purchased for repair and subsequent sale as a source of funds. In-person meetings are desired but the main meeting will continue via Zoom for the time being. Perhaps a supplemental meeting at a restaurant.

INFORMAL: Dave AB3TE spoke of his Rig Expert for antenna analysis and some recent experiences. Tom KC3RJR and Alicia KC3RJQ spoke of their condo antenna options.

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary

April 7, 2021 meeting

A turnout of nineteen people: Bill N3WD, Neil W3ZQI, Marty KC3PPV, Tom KC3RJR, Alicia KC3RJQ, Jon KC3PAN, Mike K2TPZ, Jim W3BBE, Amanda KC3SEI, Bud W3LL, Don N3FQC, Val W3VAL, Russ N3YI, Stephan KC3ILL, Jim WB3DJU, Julian KD2DOI, Chris N2MCS, Henry KB1PE, Dave AB3TE, Al WA3SFR.

Club Vice President Bill N3WD opened the April, 2021 meeting. Secretary Neil W3ZQI read the March meeting minutes and provided Treasurer Dave AB3TE’s report; (he joined in later). Modest spending again during the month; the treasury balance steady. We welcomed new attendee Amanda who is interested in emergency preparedness and plans to assist with our Disaster Prep webpage section.

HAMFEST: Our hamfest is formally a GO for 2021. There are few other area hamfest for 2021 so this is good for our plans. We are in negotiations with a food vendor. Masks at the hamfest would be expected but hard to enforce. Several stepped up to our call for Hamfest volunteers for two-hour shifts. Tom KC3RJR and Alicia KC3RJQ agreed to do 2 meter talk-in at the site. Jim WB3DJU will provide a PA system. Some volunteered to sell tickets. While overnight access is possible, no restrooms are available until the event.

INFORMAL: Marty KC3PPV spoke of high SWR problems with his ICOM radio. Suggestions were made and two offered to meet with him for diagnosis. Henry KB1PE was welcomed from absence; he mentioned that the National Electronics Museum is still on restricted access. New attendee Julian KD2DOI was welcomed and will be in contact with Jim W3BBE regarding emergency medicine. Alicia KC3RJQ and Tom KC3RJR’s plans of a HF station configuration were well received. Bill N3WD achieved a sweep of all of the special event stations for the final episode of Last Man Standing. Dave AB3TE gave an informative update on the operation of an HF mag loop antenna and its popularity

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary

Operating Course: 11 Thursdays by ZOOM from April 15, 2021 6:30 pm.

The National Electronics Museum is sponsoring its well-received Operating Course again starting April 15, 2021 and running each Thursday for 11 weeks from 6:30 to 9:30 EDST on Zoom.   There is no charge for participation.  The purpose of these classes is to provide information to help licensed radio amateurs to participate in the many on-the-air activities available in the hobby.  The presenters are very experienced in their topics—many are nationally known experts—and they will be available to answer your questions following the presentations.   The exact order of presentations will be determined and published in the next few weeks.   These are independent presentations, and participants are free to participate in any or all of the evenings.   Feel free to pass this announcement along to others, but we request that all prospective attendees register by emailing Tom Christovich at tom.christovich@gmail.com . You will receive confirmation of enrollment and the Zoom link for attendance by reply email.  Here is a tentative list of topics:

All About Operating-an Introduction

Amateur Radio Organizations: Local, National, and International clubs, societies and groups devoted to specific aspects of amateur radio

Ham Radio Operating Award Hunting—from working Lighthouses to the DXCC Challenge

DXing

QSLing

VHF/UHF Weak Signal Work

Remote Station Control Over Internet

CW in the No-code Era

Digital modes

Imaging Operating

Contesting

Logging Software

HF Propagation

Amateur Satellite Comms

Portable (backpacking) Operation, including Park and Summits

Setting Up an HF Station

Emergency and Public Service Communications (ARES and RACES)

Traffic Handling

Lightning Protection and Grounding

73, Rol Anders, K3RA

March 3, 2021 meeting

A recent turnout record of twenty people: Alicia KC3RJQ, Tom KC3RJR, Kyle K3KRG, Bill N3WD, Dave AB3TE, Marty KC3PPV, Mike K2TPZ, Jim W3BBE, Don N3FQC, Bryan KC3RJS, Chris N2MCS, Jon KC3PAN, Bud W3LL, Gordon KC3LWO, Val W3VAL, Joe W3TTT, Jim WB3DJU, Stephan KC3ILL, Al WASFR, Neil W3ZQI.

Club Vice President Bill N3WD opened the March, 2021 meeting. Neil W3ZQI Secretary read the February meeting minutes. Dave AB3TE gave the treasurer’s report; again, modest spending during the month. In the webpage report, Neil W3ZQI is seeking someone to further develop the Disaster Prep webpage and also put out a call for photographs.

HAMFEST: Our 2021 hamfest continues in a holding pattern dependent upon state guidelines for maximum attendance. Most every area hamfest ahead of our date has been cancelled. No rush yet on final decision for our event (decision can be by late May). No food vendor yet; might not have time to arrange for one. Masks at the hamfest would be expected but hard to enforce. Not sure of potential attendance; much pent up demand but will people come?

OLD BUSINESS: None.

NEW BUSINESS: James Baker is seeking assistance on clearing ham gear by his father; Jim WB3DJU and Jon KC3PPV will follow up. Joe W3TTT has been appointed ARRL EC for Baltimore City/Baltimore County. He now has moderator privileges on our e-mail reflector to assist in communications. Bill N3WD spoke again of ARES and RACES missions and differences. Mutual support was offered by several meeting attendees. Tom and Alicia are now KC3RJR and KC3RJQ respectively–Congratulations!

INFORMAL: Tom KC3RJR/Alicia KC3RJQ asked further about 2-meter antennas and expected range. Frank W3LPL’s contest station was mentioned–see videos at You Tube.

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary

February 3, 2021 meeting

A turnout of eighteen people: Dave AB3TE, Neil W3ZQI, Bud W3LL, Jim W3BBE, Mike K2TPZ, Kyle K3KRG, Al WA3SFR, Bill N3WD, Tom Rappold, Alicia Rappold, Brian Samms, Stephan KC3ILL, Jim WB3DJU, Val W3VAL, Peter AA3BR, Chris N2MCS, Robin AA3SB.

Club Vice President Bill N3WD opened the February, 2021 meeting. Neil W3ZQI Secretary read the January meeting minutes. Dave AB3TE gave the treasurer’s report; again, modest spending during the month.

HAMFEST: Our 2021 hamfest remains in a holding pattern dependent upon state guidelines for maximum attendance. We can print flyers on demand which is wise since area hamfests this year are still in doubt. The 2021 Dayton Hamvention has been cancelled. No rush yet on final decision for our event.

OLD BUSINESS: None.

NEW BUSINESS: Joe W3TTT requested use of the 146.67- repeater for weekly ARES Hospital Nets (Balto City/Balto County); approved so far. Two other existing nets are CATS ATV on Wednesday evening at 9:00 pm. and backup for Orioles 9:00 am daily. Bill N3WD further explained ARES and RACES. Marty KB3MXM is a contact.

INFORMAL: New member Tom asked about light FM repeater activity and how to improve what he hears at his condo. Peter AA3BR was perplexed with intermittent transmit failures with his ICOM 7400. Consensus was an active “busy channel avoidance” feature.

— Neil W3ZQI Secretary